Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Why you should read Special Topics in Calamity Physics

I've said it before and I'll say it again, don't let the title intimidate you. We're getting closer to our instore Book club, so I wanted to say a few things on Special Topics to get your engines running and those pages turning.








First off, I think I'm a litte jealous of Marisha Pessl. I'm jealous because she's amazing. She's a fantastic writer, she's not that much older than I am and she's pretty too. If you don't believe me I'm attaching a visual.


Marisha looks like the kind of girl you don't like because you think she's really cool. Maybe that's just how I feel about her, but don't let her picture keep you from reading this book.


In all seriousness though I loved 'Special Topics'. I was excited that there was a table of contents set up like a college course. I was excited that the narrator sites all of her references like it's a term paper. It's strange and quirky, and unbelievable. When I was done with the book I made my friends read it because I enjoyed it so much. If you're thinking about reading it you should. When you're done reading it you can come talk to us about it on September 18th. We'll be in the bookstore the third Tuesday of this month at 7:00pm dying to talk about 'Special Topics' with you!



I can't wait to talk to people about this book. It's one of those books that I think will get better the more it is discussed.


Here are some clues to get you started in your reading:


1. THE FLYING DEMOISELLE: An archaic means of hanging someone, popular in the American South between the years of 1829 to 1860. It is also, in all likelihood, how Hannah Schneider died.


2. THE IRON GRIP: An unfinished tour de force.

3. LION SEX: Something that happens in Room 222 of The Dynasty Motel.

4. VALERIO: A clue


MORE RESEARCH is available at: http://www.calamityphysics.com/



If you still need convincing I will leave you with one last push to get you to pick up the book:



Yes that is Tom Hanks, and yes that is a copy of Special Topics in Calamity Physics, so come pick up your copy and start reading.



Hope to see you Tuesday, September 18th in the store! (7:00pm)


Happy Reading!

Kristiana

3 comments:

AGOG with God said...

It sounds intriguing. Is it something a MOM would like?

Anonymous said...

The man who ran it didn't even understand the book. I am interested in reading this month's book. Will it be the same format with the same moderator?

Laguna Beach Books said...

We will have the same moderator. We hope you will be able to make it!